Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Teacherisms #4: Food and Such

Medical Anthropology seems to be a cash crop for teacherisms. Today was another profitable day. We were discussing nutrition and how food means different things in different cultures. During the discussion, our prof. touched on the subject of using food to mean other things and how it can be confusing to people from other cultures.

She explained that fact with this story:
"I was talking to guy and he asked if he could dunk his doughnut in my coffee. I was confused; I didn't know what he meant- I didn't even have any coffee. And then I realized he meant he wanted to have sex with me and then have breakfast the next morning."

Dear god....it was a sea of baffled and slightly horrified looks followed by roars of laughter. I mean, really, what do you say to that?

Then, a little bit later, we were talking about holidays and the significance of foods. She asked, "You don't get big-ass turkeys for Fourth of July, do you? I didn't think so...besides, what would you do? Throw the whole thing on the grill??"

Again, baffled looks and roars of laughter.....At least this class is entertaining.

No comments: