Friday, February 01, 2008

I Love Candles...and Anatomically Correct Veggies

The last couple of days here have been very nasty....bitter cold and lots and lots and LOTS of snow- not my kind of weather. In order to cheer ourselves from the dreary-ness, we decided to have a girls' night last night...which always result in great stories/pictures to share later.

Early in the evening, Kait, Deirdre, Emily and I met up to volunteer at an opening for a local art event. We got all dressed up, black pants, heels, white blouses.....and our rather casual fleece Gold Club vests. Not exactly the classiest look, but hey, that's what the boss wanted...if you say so, chief.

We had been told that food would be served at the event, so we all decided to skip dinner. By food, they apparently meant cheese cubes and chocolate covered strawberries...delicious, but not filling. At 7:30, we hightailed it outta there, dropped off Kait and D at the apartment, and Emily and I headed to Meijer's to get the necessary junk food that girls' nights require.

We decided on loaded nachos for the fatty food of choice for the evening and made our mental list of ingredients. Apparently, mental lists are crap because we circled the store about 8 times before we finally remembered everything. Keep in mind, we were still dressed to the nines and wearing matching peacoats...we got some pretty strange looks because I'm pretty sure we looked like members of a really classy/sexy mafia. ;) A girl can hope, right?

Anyhoo...we managed to grab all our stuff for nachos and I remembered that I had burned through an entire candle in my apartment and wanted to replace it. I looooooove candles...I find them relaxing and I love the smell...usually. I love the smell of mulled cider candles, and because I can't seem to keep fish alive, I turned a fish tank into a neat little candle holder on my desk...looks pretty, smells waaaaaaaay better than the fish ever did!

Emily and I hit the candle section and became seriously distracted with smelling all the candles. Dear God. You would think that the candle industry would have people to smell the candles before they put the on the market. Lemon cookie candles should not smell like suntan lotion and don't even get me started on the mocha, vanilla, pumpkin pie or oatmeal cookie scented monstrosities....bleh. However, one candle was the winner of the "Holy Crap! What The Heck IS That??" award for the evening...*drum roll please*

"OVER THE RIVER"!

Seriously, that is the name...however; "Old Man" would have been more fitting. Unfortunately, "Through the Woods" and "Grandmother's House" haven't been released yet, but I can only imagine.

We finally peeled ourselves away from the candles, only to be distracted again...this time by hats. What is it about big stupid hats that just scream for them to be tried on? As you are walking away, the sinking realization hits you that you now most likely have headlice and the worst part is you weren't even planning to buy the hat.

Emily and I finally made it to the check out counter...one of those self check-outs. I hate those things. I always manage to create problems for myself. The last time she and I went with Deirdre, I had to buy one orange, one lemon and one lime for sangria...and none of them had stickers. The cashier attendant, a rather attractive fellow too I might add, thought we were stupid...or drunk. Well, last night I was buying a green pepper, with no sticker, and guess who was my attendant. It was fate, I know it. I'm pretty sure he recognized us from the "oh great" look he shot us, but I am just gonna keep picking fruits and veggies with no stickers...just so we can get to know each other.

We headed back to the apartment, unpacked everything, and changed into comfy clothes. D and Alana met us in the dining room where they hung out while I cooked. I was browning hamburger and cooking refried beans...chatting up a storm and then it happened. I began cutting up the onion and green pepper to sauté, and I saw it....my unstickered pepper was anatomically correct.

It lists a little, ok, a lot, but it is still rather well endowed for a pepper.


After a few moments of scrutinizing, we decided we were too hungry to care what the growth was and continued chatting. The nachos were AMAZING, if I do say so myself, but part of it may have been that I was hungry enough at that point to eat my own arm (just the left one...I don't use it all that much). We all made HUGE plates and headed to the living room for the entertainment of the evening...Miss Congeniality and The Little Mermaid. Nothing better than girlie movies with my favorite girlies. :D

No comments: