Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Back to School and TEACHERISMS

Classes have officially begun. I have been all of my classes and so far it's not looking too bad. Organic moves FAST.....that one is going to be tough. Biology is an awesome subject and I absolutely love it...even though my teacher is very scatterbrained and doesn't seem very interested voice inflection. English is a joke...today we talked about origins of our feelings about reading. I'm okay with it; it will be my break in my science packed schedule. And last but not least...Medical Anthropology....this one is going to be very interesting. I can't quite get a feel for the teacher. I like her, but at the same time, she scares the living daylights out of me. She isn't very big, rather tiny actually, but I'm pretty sure she could kill a grown man without breaking a sweat. The class itself is kind of strange; we discuss the reading and participation is worth 10% of our grade. 50% comes from our exams and the last 40% comes from a service learning project. I am doing Big Brothers/Big Sisters and I have to journal about each activity I do with the child and then write a term paper on it. At first I was a little upset...."we are being FORCED to do volunteer work?? I don't think that's right...." but now I am actually excited about it. I have always wanted to get involved with BB/BS so why not now? Peer mentoring is done at the end of September so I will have plenty of time and BB/BS is only a couple hours a week. My grades won't suffer at all from a couple of hours being spent elsewhere. I think this is going to be a good semester.

Many of my teachers here at Ferris are from different states and even some from different countries. Sometimes, common sayings get "lost in translation", if you will. So, at this time I would also like to introduce a little section I am going to call "TEACHERISMS":

In Medical Anthropology: "Don't like me or my class? Suck it in, or drop my class. I'll even open the door for you!"
-Was a funny statement to begin with and the added "oops" made it even better...I think she meant "suck it up"

In Advanced Composition: "You don't do anything? Like a bump on a pickle, eh?"
- We were totally thinking "oh, he'll say log"....nope, definitely said pickle....awkward silence followed

And that concludes today's section of "TEACHERISMS"....More to come later ;) TTFN

No comments: