Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Umm...Yeah...Cut That Out

Why is that people who can't sing insist on doing so...loudly...and in public? I went out with a guy last night who tried to serenade me. It would have been sweet, maybe, in the right place....and if he could carry a tune. We were at dinner and a song by John Mayer came on in the background. He goes "hey...I like this song" and I said I did too. Well, apparently to him that meant "go ahead....sing it to me!" He started singing and it wasn't a quiet hum that only I could hear...oh no.....everyone around us could hear it. Here I am, trying to avoid a look of horror hoping that God will either strike me down on the spot and end the pain or the radio will suddenly give out. I am trying to change the subject talking at him about God knows what and he is still singing. Finally, mercifully, the waiter arrives with the check and we get up to leave, but does he stop singing? Absolutely not. He continues to sing all the way through the resturaunt and all the way out to the car. The worst part is that he isn't just singing in general; he is trying to stare into my eyes (as we are walking, mind you...dangerous) and make this a meaningful experience. I am fighting the urge to laugh and another urge to run far away. It was obvious that I wasn't enjoying his "show", but he just kept going. If he had stopped, I might have thought it was a sweet gesture, but the further he took it, the less appealing he became. There were other things I had found out that I didn't really like (things such as: his oh-so-attractive curly hair is permed...I don't even do that much to my hair and the fact that he never ever stops talking...four hours and not one period of silence) but the singing clinched the deal. I think the dates with this fellow have come to a close....it was fun while it lasted, but the concert is over.

3 comments:

jt said...

Oh no! I'm sorry you had to go through that, 'Chelle-Belle... but... that was seriously funny! [she typed as she wiped tears from her eyes]
Note to Sammy: for future reference - How Not to Behave on a Date.
Love,
Aunt Julie

Matthew Newton said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Matthew Newton said...

Has American ideal boy called you yet? Did you pickup or were you afraid of being poorly serenaded? Wow, this kind of stuff only happens in the movies. Are you sure you don't have bad Carma or something