Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Tomato Time!

I have been busy the last few days....learning to can! I love it so much...I think I am addicted!

On Friday, Mom came over with 25lbs of tomatoes bought from Papa's Pumpkin Patch to help me learn to can. We boiled and peeled and chopped all the tomatoes and then canned them in quart jars. The process made 7 quart jars of stewed tomatoes, but only 6 sealed. The jar that didn't seal I used in chili on Sunday...the tomatoes were tasty!!

On Saturday, I went shopping and got all the peppers, onions and special ingredients I would need to make my own salsa. I also purchased another 25lbs of tomatoes from Papa. Mom came over Sunday morning to helped me chop everything and get it started on the stove. I let the salsa cook all evening...about 6 hours and then canned the salsa in pint jars. All of the jars sealed....woo! I made a second batch yesterday, and only had one mishap...all the jars sealed, but one the bottom broke out of one of the jars during the canning process...what a mess! All in all, the process was worth the outcome....the salsa is super delicious-spicy but still sweet- and it made 40 pint jars! I'll be enjoying salsa for a while!

Next up: I will be attempting to can honey-spiced peaches and homemade applebutter...yumm!

No comments: