Sunday, December 18, 2011

It's Been Too Long....

It's been forever since I last updated my blog; my life has been an absolute whirlwind...a nutty, crazy whirlwind. Rotations started in August and near killing me...so hard and so time consuming! However, that's not what today's post is about....I have some good news: BRANDON AND I ARE ENGAGED!!!!!!

We had been planning to attend a Red Wing's game for a while and it worked out that we could go yesterday. We planned to meet our friends, Chris and Kristin in Detroit for the game and grab some dinner after the game. Brandon threw me for a bit of a loop during the day and mentioned that I should dress up because dinner would be fancy; I'll be honest, I freaked out a bit because I had NOTHING to wear...such a snot, I know. Anyway, I figured out an outfit and we were off.

We met Chris and Kristin at the arena and Kristin mentioned that she forgot about work the next morning, and they couldn't join us for dinner. Brandon said we would go anyway, and that his friend, Tim (who works in downtown Detroit), had made a reservation for us at 10:30. The game was great and the final score was 8-2, in favor of the Wings.


We drove to the Renaissance Center and headed in for dinner at a restaurant called the Coach Insignia. It was stunning! It was on the 72nd floor and the whole restaurant is surrounded by floor-to-ceiling glass windows that looks over the river. We could see all the lights of Canada while big, fat snowflakes floated past the windows. The food was phenomenal and the ambiance was perfect: low lights, decorated for Christmas and quiet Christmas music playing in the background.

After dinner, Brandon suggested we see Tim's office on the 55th floor before we left the building. We got off the elevator and all we could see were hotel rooms. I mentioned that he might have the wrong floor, but he kept going, saying that it was up ahead. A few doors down, we came to a room with the door ajar; he started to go in and I had a fit thinking he was going into someone else's room. He opened the door and I walked into a room filled with roses, candles and a floor-to-ceiling window with a view of all the lights of Canada.
He pulled out a ring from his pocket, told me he has known for a very long time that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me, got down on one knee and asked me to marry him. I was so surprised; I had no idea it was coming! I of course said YES!

We stayed in Detroit last night, and today he had part 2 of my engagement surprise; we drove to Midland and stopped at the Tridge. We walked over the first arm of the bridge and he stopped, pulled out a lock and handed it to me. Engraved on the lock was our names, the date of our engagement and the word "forever." He had talked with my Mom about doing something special to make the day that much more memorable and she mentioned a river in Paris where lovers place a lock on the bridge on the river and throw the key into water for good luck. Well, his idea was to hide our lock on the Tridge and throw the keys into the water below. 



I feel so lucky to have found such a thoughtful, sweet, caring man and can't wait to marry my best friend. Let the planning begin!!

No comments: